I wish I had a “before” picture to show you of the table our television stood on because I am extremely proud of this improvement. We used to have a small glass table where the TV sat, and underneath were all of the boxes and ugly cables, just hanging there and sitting on the floor. In the meantime, I had a dresser shoved in my closet that was of little use to me, so I decided to change it. I turned the two top drawers into shelves, painted the entire piece, and added hardware to the drawers that didn’t exist before.
The materials you require for a project like this are dependent on what you would like to do to your existing piece of furniture. If you don’t have any special project needs, I would recommend simply the piece of furniture, such as an old dresser, sandpaper, paint (or spray paint), large paintbrushes, slabs of wood, and drawer pulls or handles. If you need to drill new holes for drawer pulls or handles, or if you need to drills holes in the back for cables to run through, you will also need a drill.
You may or may not need sandpaper. Hopefully not. Sanding furniture is a pain. The only reason I used sandpaper was to even out some distressed areas of the wood that needed to even out with the rest of the top. To avoid sanding the entire thing, either prime it first or buy a paint that has primer built in. I went to Home Depot and chose a combination paint in a light grey-purple color to match my decor, but I love the look of bold, colorful pieces, depending on the size.
Measure the opening of your drawers in order to determine the size of wood you will need to create a shelf. My dresser had a piece of wood down the middle where the drawer slides in that prevented me from easily laying down one piece of wood. I’m very limited on tools in my small apartment, so instead of attempting to remove this piece (which would not have been extremely difficult), I asked my dad to cut me four pieces of wood to lay around the middle piece. It’s not perfect, but it works, and you can barely tell the difference.
First, remove the drawers. They are to be painted separately. Cover the entire piece with your first coat. Make sure you’re painting in a safe area, and cover the floor with some type of mat or newspapers to protect it from paint stains. Let it sit for a while. Because I did this indoors, it took quite a while to dry.
Don’t let your impatience get the best of you. Painting a second coat before the first is dry can result in a change in texture. It will look best if you let it dry completely. While the dresser sits, you’ll need to paint the shelves and the drawers. Like before, let them dry before painting another coat. To create the look I wanted, I painted three full coats over the entire piece, and I set the pieces of wood inside the top opening.
Next, I used a drill to install the drawer pulls I picked out at Home Depot. Yours may already have holes where previous hardware was, so there should be no need to drill new holes. If you do need new holes, please remember to measure first.
Lastly, I created holes in the back of the dresser to pull cords through for my DVD player and DirecTV box. I drew a circle in the back, just above the shelf so the hole wouldn’t be extremely visible. This is where I had difficulties. Perhaps you have an easier way to do this, but I was limited. I used my drill to poke a bunch of small holes around the circle and drilled my way around the circle until I created a large enough hole for cords to fit through. It doesn’t have to be pretty. You won’t be able to see it.
I set my TV equipment in each compartment, pulled the cords through, and connected everything to a power strip conveniently hidden behind the TV, which sits on top. I filled up the drawers with useless things and set my painted beer bottles and pine cone vase on top. During Christmas, I entwined colored Christmas lights with white tulle and displayed it on top, wrapped around the TV with a small silver tree sitting on top. I like it so much better than the table we started with, and it was a lot of work, but it was absolutely worth it. And all I really had to buy was paint and hardware, which is nothing in the long run. It wasn’t nearly as hard of a project as I expected it to be.