Dining Room Chairs Makeover

IMG_5362

IMG_5335

I’m the type of person who sees what something could be rather than what something is. Hence, going anywhere with me might seem frustrating because I’m constantly stopping to see the DIY potential of every little thing, including really torn up old chairs on the side of the road. Andrew rolled his eyes at me with some serious enunciation the day I asked him to pull over and put them in the back of his car. Luckily, he loves me, so we loaded these into the Escort and brought them home for a little TLC.

As you can see, they needed a lot of love:

IMG_5287 IMG_5290

It’s amazing what you can do with a little spray paint and fabric – we turned these ratty old chairs into suitable dining room chairs that were such a huge improvement over my original chairs, as you can see below.

IMG_5348

To makeover these chairs, I used sandpaper, three cans of blue satin spray paint, quilt batting, a staple-gun, a drill and fabric. First, we used the drill to unscrew the chair seats from the frame and set them aside. I sanded down the rough areas of the wood because they were old and beat up in some areas. After painting, the little knicks and scratches becomeΒ a lot more obvious, so it is important to sand the wood beforehand, but it’s also nice to see that the chairs have some character and history with their small paint-covered scratches. I took them outside for a few coats of spray paint – the satin spray paint turned out to be a good choice because glossy would have made it look a little to gaudy (for my taste).

While the frames dried, Andrew slaved away helping me pry out the staples keeping the fabric and stuffing on the chair seats. Trust me, this is the tough part, and because the chairs were so old, the padding was practically falling apart. Once they were torn apart and only pieces of wood remained, I cut pieces of fabric, leaving at least 2-3 inches around the wooden seat. When reupholstering chair seats, you want a tough fabric since it will get a lot of use, so choose something a little thicker. I also cut the quilt batting, which was of medium thickness, and I folded over to make it even thicker, to approximately the size of the seat, leaving only a little space around it.

IMG_5309 IMG_5315

I laid out the fabric on a counter, then centered the batting and the wood, and I pulledΒ the fabric and batting tightly over the sides and staple-gunned them down.

IMG_5343

After a lot of stapling, the seats were finished, so we screwed them back on and ta-da! I’m so happy with how they turned out! Even Oliver likes them (He likes them so much that he’s already started scratching them up)!

IMG_5328IMG_5331

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s